Friday, April 1, 2011

Laughter: Good for the Soul


Ever had one of those moments where you laughed until you cried? Or thought about a funny movie quote and laughed out loud even though you were alone in your room? I know that I have.

It’s amazing to think that something so simple can bring so much joy to life. Really, laughter is just the result of someone opening up his mouth and letting out an incoherent sound. But it is beautiful.

Laughter has a purpose. I was just reading today about a study on the benefits of laugher. It improves many aspects of health- especially emotional health.

Here are some of the Social Benefits of laughter, according to HelpGuide:

·      Adds joy and zest to life
·      Eases anxiety and fear
·      Relieves stress
·      Improves mood
·      Enhances resilience

Hopefully none of you are having trouble finding ways to laugh and relax, but, in case you are, let me make some suggestions to you about the ways that I stay relaxed and get my “full servings” of laughs at school.

Watch a funny sitcom. Go to a play or musical that incorporates comedy. Read the comics. Hang out with friends late at night (I truly believe that is when the best memories are made). Turn up the music when you ride in the car and sing at the top of your lungs (or laugh at your friend’s singing). Laugh at yourself every once in awhile.   

No comments:

Post a Comment