Saturday, April 16, 2011

Get Your Thoughts Out


When I was in third and fourth grade, I kept a journal. I can still clearly picture it in my head- a hard cover, spiral bound book with my ratty ankle bracelets tied to it. It is sort of humorous to read over it now, because I only wrote in it when I was mad.

“________ thinks she’s SO COOL just because she is allowed to wear make-up and because all the boys like her. But really she is a brat.”

“My mom just doesn’t get it. She won’t let me buy the off the shoulder shirts that EVERYONE is wearing. They aren’t even that much off the shoulder. And you wear a tank top under them, so it is basically just like any other shirt.”

“Today I told __________ to “shut up”. I know it’s bad to say, but I just had to.”

Although my trials then seem very trivial now, I am still glad that I kept a diary during that stage in my life. After each entry, I always felt de-fused and cooled down.

Fast forward to college. Journaling was the last thing on my mind until this year. I mean, I already have papers to write, a job in the Admissions Office, Bible study to attend, and a social life to keep. Where am I supposed to block out half an hour for journaling?

But, after recommendations from multiple friends about the wonders of journaling, I decided to give it a shot a couple months ago. And you know what? I LOVE IT.

I’d be lying if I said that I do it on a daily basis. I don’t. I also don’t write down everything I’m thinking, because 1) I don’t want someone to find this one day and 2) sometimes it’s hard to be honest- even with myself.

I’m not going to provide you with statistics or facts about benefits of journaling. But, based on my personal experience, I want you to know that it has been a helpful way for me to organize my thoughts and give myself a healthy dose of self-expression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment